Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spaghetti Solution

Betty was a huge hit.  The only problem I ran into was getting the "spaghetti" pulled through at a rate sufficient for effective timing.  I ended up having to have my assistant (a Primary Presidency member) pull it quickly and leave it in a pile on the table in back of Betty.  This worked fine, except for when it was time to wind it all back up, which was a slow tedious process since it was pretty much a tangled mess.  The good news was that there was enough yarn for BOTH Jr. and Sr. Primaries without having to untangle in between.

After Primary, as I was trying to untangle spaghetti, one of the teachers gave me a great suggestion:  Just spread out the hooks on the back of Betty.  This would allow the yarn to be pulled at a quicker rate, and the tangled mess would be avoided.  I figured I could at least give it a try.

I moved the hooks from this position

to this position.

The following week was Stake Conference, so I couldn't test the new design until last Sunday.  It worked perfectly.  (I had already wound the yarn back into a ball - which I have discovered is the best way to have the spaghetti in the bowl in front of Betty - before taking a picture, but you get the idea.  IF I were to do it again, I would have placed the hooks slightly to one side of the hole where the yarn comes through, just to avoid winding confusion, but it still works amazingly well.)

Everybody loves Betty.

No comments:

Post a Comment