Thursday, September 29, 2011

Not Quite What I Was Going For...

My neighbor/friend/ward member sent me the following text this week:

"I just heard Chase sing 'Scripture powwwwwwwwer... helps you fart in bad guys faces.'"

(Chase is 5, the youngest of a large family, and very much a laugh-at-anything-that-has-to-do-with-passing-gas boy.)

Not quite the effect I had hoped for.

I had asked the kids to try and think/sing Scripture Power through regularly over the General Conference break, in hopes of keeping it fresh their minds.  At least Chase tried.

I also had a hard time getting the Sr. Primary to settle down this past Sunday.  For some reason the "Sing like a girl..." paper pulled from the center of a random ice cream cone was too much for them.  The boys went a little lot crazy (funny thing, it didn't happen on the "Sing like a boy..." choice).  I think I will have to pull those for a while.

Our substitute pianist had an awesome idea to encourage reverence and participation - I'm going to try it next week:

Instead of only giving a scoop or two of ice cream for a singing-strong-know-the-words performance (with WAY too much idle chatter and rowdiness in between), reward a scoop for reverence and good listening behavior as well.  Make it a friendly competition between Jr. and Sr.  See who can "win" the most scoops with not only great performances, but great behavior.

I hope it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment