Thursday, August 10, 2017

WELCOME TO SEMINARY

So... I was recently called as an early morning seminary teacher.

This is inwardly one of my most respected callings (I've always admired anyone who has served in this way), and one of my most feared! And although I already have those inward jitters and shakes about standing in front of a large class (20ish) of 15-turning-16-year-olds (sophomores), I am also surprisingly EXCITED.

Our seminary starts on Monday, but my beautiful daughter just had a baby, and since my plans prior to my call were to travel to UT to help her for a week once the baby arrived, I am sticking with them. Lucky for me, I serve in a Stake where the majority of seminary classes are taught by team teachers. (Yay! Hope for a seminary teacher/family life/personal life balance!)

My delightful team teacher will kindly manage the first week of seminary, and while she drops a child off at college the second week, I'll be in charge. Scary.

The last time I have been in seminary (other than the parent's day our last Stake held on the first day to give basic rules and guidelines, and to meet your child's teacher) was when I was in high school. (Over 30 years ago, btw.) I grew up in UT, so had released time seminary, and, sad to say, I don't remember much (other than a few cheesy filmstrips, rhyming scripture mastery phrases, and the boy who asked me to the Homecoming dance my sophomore year that I had to turn down because I wasn't 16). So basically, I've got nothin' on that front.

But I love being with the youth, and feel that I've been blessed with the ability to relate and connect with them when I've been called to do so. I've always felt magnified beyond my own natural abilities and disposition. I'm praying for those same blessings this time. I'm a bit tentative because everyone I talk to focuses on the one kid (or two, or three, or more) who sleeps the whole time... or looks at her phone the whole time... or who is disruptive and disrespectful. I'm gearing up for such a scenario, but also hope I can influence any and all of them for good. I want to be an example of how the gospel of Jesus Christ makes our lives joyful.

Anyway, I've decided to add my seminary stuff to my singing time blog, if only because I really don't want to take the time to create anything new. I think I can manage a quick title change... and it's all for the same purpose of bringing children and youth to Christ, right?? Hopefully it doesn't throw anyone off!

My team teacher ("Sister Holt" from here on out) and I decided that we would have the youth in our class use the paper-bound copies of the Book of Mormon for seminary. We will not have the youth access their scriptures from their phones. We don't want to see their phones AT ALL. This was on the advice of my youngest daughter, who completed her sophomore year of seminary this past year. I can definitely see the wisdom in it.

Our hope is that the kids will not be afraid to mess up their little paper copy, and will write notes, glue in quotes, mark up, and USE THEM. I have a vision of weathered and worn copies that need to be held together with rubber bands at the end of the year.

This is just a little insert I typed up for the kids to put in the front of their Book of Mormon copy. They will have the option to glue it in, tape it in, or use it as a bookmark. I feel that it's simple enough not to overwhelm.

I found the original here, but when I printed it, it wasn't very clear/easy to read. And if you've followed my singing time blog, you already know I often like to tweak and repurpose the ideas of others. (BTW... I'm using some of that Primary stuff for seminary... the UNO game would totally work with learning doctrinal mastery scriptures.)

You can get the pdf doc here.

I hope to add more throughout the year.
Pray for me (or at least wish me luck)!


No comments:

Post a Comment