Sunday, August 26, 2012

Program Practice Brainstorm - Getting the Bugs Out

This has been a crazy busy week.  I have panicked a few times as I occasionally wondered WHAT I would do for Singing Time this Sunday.  I quickly checked over the newly posted ideas of others, but just couldn't make a decision on what direction to go.  I was out of town last week, and my sweet sub kindly dropped off my visuals and plan last night.  (I know - pathetic when you can't find the time to go pick them up!!)  Our program is about a month away, and I knew I wanted to start reviewing and perfecting our songs, and naturally I left it to this morning (Sunday - eek!) to pull something together.

I quickly browsed through Sugardoodle (haven't done that for a while), started down one path (oh-so-briefly), then ran across these ideas.  The fog started to clear, and I thought of several ideas to change things up while sticking with the same "Getting the Bugs Out" theme the next 4 or 5 weeks (I really need to check my calendar to see exactly how many weeks until the program!).

Today, because I am short on time (I hate leaving it to the last minute, but it was seriously all I could do this week), I am going to keep it simple.

I quickly found some bug clipart and made them nice and big.  You can access the pdf here.  Today we will play an old favorite, Spin-the-Human (I was reminded of this game here), using the big bugs.  I will introduce our new project of "getting the bugs out" of our program songs.  I'm going to write the songs we are working on the the back of each bug - as each bug is chosen (via spinning-the-human), we will sing the song and then rate how good we sang it (I am anticipating the need for LOTS of improvement).

Exterminated (Near perfect - I don't expect ANY of those today)

Shriveled  (almost there, dynamics need work)

Get the RAID (some parts really need help)

Infestation (the whole song needs a ton a work)

I will hopefully have time this next week to make my entire Program Practice plan (and check out my calendar), and will post it as soon as I get it done.

Happy Sunday!

Post post:  This went great today, although we only made it through 3 of our songs as we tried to get some oh-so-obvious BUGS out by singing through them at least twice.  Our cute pianist decided our ratings.  I managed to print some rating signs out before church - I just didn't have time to post them.  You can find the pdf for them here.  The good news:  no INFESTATIONS so far.  Whew!  Hoping for all the bugs to have this on them by Program time:


  1. Amazing your 4 week plan. I'm going to follow you. Thanks for all your work.

  2. I'm going to do it too w/ our Primary here in Livermore, CA! You are a life-saver--thanks!!